THE HOUSE SYSTEM
House Points are awarded for good work and attitude to learning in the classroom. They can also be awarded to a student who is going ‘above and beyond’ in an area of school life.
Richard Burlingham was educated at Prince Henry’s Grammar School and started his career as a soldier, becoming an officer in the Worcestershire Regiment as a young man in the 1930s. During the Second World War he worked for the Deputy Quartermaster General organising supplies for the troops and reached the rank of Lieutenant Colonel by the end of the war.
Lieutenant Colonel Burlingham was a governor of Prince Henry’s High School for almost 50 years from 1949 until the late 1990s. From 1963 he was the Chair of Governors for 25 years finally stepping down from the governing body in 1997/1998. He also served on both Evesham Council and the County Council, becoming Chair of each. He became an Alderman of Evesham and was later appointed Deputy Lord Lieutenant of the County.
John Deacle was born on 10th June 1660 in Bengeworth. He made his fortune in the woollen trade and became an Alderman of London. On his death in September 1709, John Deacle’s will left provision for £2,000 to be spent on building a charity school, with a further £300 per year for the ongoing running of that school. The new school, which became known as Deacle Charity Free School, was to offer 30 boys from the poorest of backgrounds of the parish the chance of an education, the right to which was normally only for the privileged few at this time.
The Deacle School was built in Port Street in 1729 and was only closed in 1905. The old school building still stands, and although it now has shop fronts obstructing the view, it can be found on the right hand side as you head up Port Street from the Workman Bridge.
In 1906 the Deacle Charity Free School and Prince Henry’s Grammar School merged together under the control of Worcestershire County Council, and the Deacle School pupils joined the Prince Henry’s students at Lanesfield on Greenhill.
Revd Holland was a key figure in saving the school by working hard to raise funds as well as using his own money. In 1879 Prince Henry’s Grammar School was moved from Merstow Green to Lanesfield on Greenhill.
Lanesfield remained the location of the school until 1910, when the recently merged Prince Henry’s Grammar School and Deacle School moved into new buildings at the school’s current site on Victoria Avenue.
Clement Lichfield became what was to be the last Abbot of Evesham Abbey in 1514. He was responsible for the final building works undertaken on the Abbey complex prior to its dissolution by Henry VIII, including the St Clements Chantry, off All Saints church. He also built a new school building in Merstow Green. The fact that the school was sited away from the main Abbey saved it when the majority of the complex was dismantled in 1540.
That school building (which continued in use as a school until 1879), together with the Bell Tower and Chantry Chapel (now known as the Lichfield Chapel) are the main significant surviving structures from Evesham Abbey which, at its peak, was the third largest Abbey Church in England.
Henry Workman was Mayor of Evesham from 1851-1855 and built the Workman Bridge in 1856. The river below the site of the bridge was a maze of shallows and treacherous currents, so Henry Workman had it dredged into one channel and used the sediment from the river to create the Workman Gardens and public park.
He financially contributed to the school move from Merstow Green to its new site on Greenhill, which took place in 1879.