SEVERE WEATHER & EMERGENCY CLOSURE ROUTINE: INFORMATION FOR PARENTS & PUPILS
In the event of extreme circumstances, such as adverse weather conditions, it is possible that the school may have to close for the day. In this case a decision will be taken usually early in the morning. However occasionally, if conditions seriously deteriorate during the course of the day, a decision may be taken to close school early to ensure that students and staff get home safely.
If the school does need to close, work will be set for students on Show My Homework, in line with their timetable on the day(s) of the closure. Parents are therefore asked to ensure that their children access and complete any work that has been set.
Please read the information below carefully and ensure that you keep it in a safe place.
EARLY MORNING SCHOOL CLOSURE DECISIONS
The decision about closure will be made by the Head and students should not decide for themselves that school is “closed”.
When deciding whether to close the school the following are taken into consideration:-
- Which buses, if any, are running (this decision is made by the bus companies and not the school).
- Whether sufficient staff will be able to get to school to supervise pupils safely.
- The probability of conditions worsening so making journeys home very difficult, eg buses unable to collect pupils.
If we do need to close the school, there are three methods by which we will make an announcement.
- The first of these is by sending parents a text message to the mobile number they have designated. For those parents who have not provided us with a mobile phone number, an automated voicemail version of the text message will be sent to your home landline number.
- We will also make an announcement on the school website www.princehenrys.worcs.sch.uk. The announcement will be clearly visible on the home page. When reading this information, please check the date carefully. It is unusual for us to know the day before that the school will definitely be closed and the decision about closure is usually made on a day to day basis by 7.30 am.
- A message will also be put on the school switchboard’s answerphone.
You are also advised to listen to the local radio stations listed below, who at regular intervals give details of school closures.
- BBC Hereford & Worcester 104 FM
- Free Radio (formerly Wyvern FM) 102.8 FM
- Touch FM 102 FM
Notice of the closure will also be placed on Worcestershire County Council’s website – www.worcestershire.gov.uk – on their school closures page.
STUDENTS TAKING PUBLIC EXAMINATIONS
Even if school buses are not running and school is otherwise closed, we will make every effort to put on special arrangements for students taking any public examinations. If at all possible these students are asked to make private arrangements to come into school to sit the examinations as they cannot be rescheduled. Internal exams, eg mock GCSE or mock A Levels will be rescheduled in the event of a closure.
CLOSURE DURING THE COURSE OF THE SCHOOL DAY
If a decision is taken to close early (after consultation with bus companies and, if appropriate, the Local Authority), we will send a text message out as a matter of priority. A bulletin will also be posted on the homepage of the school website advising that the school will be closing and at what time. Local radio stations and Worcestershire County Council (see above) will also be advised.
TEXT MESSAGE TO ALL PARENTS
To ensure that the procedures outlined in this letter will be as effective as possible, we need to make sure that parental emergency phone information held on our system is correct. In recent weeks, some texts have been sent out to all parents, including notification of the latest newsletter being posted online. If you did not receive these texts, please notify the school office.
DESIGNATED PHONE NUMBERS
As the text messaging service is a key part of the communication process from school to parents, I would like to remind parents of the importance of keeping us informed as soon as possible of any changes to phone numbers. This system can only work when we have a clearly identified designated phone number in our system. Any such changes should be confirmed by telephone (01386 765588) or via email for the attention of Mrs A Davey in the school office on email@example.com.
Dr A Evans,