DESIGN TECHNOLOGY – FOOD AND HEALTH AND SOCIAL CARE
Within Design Technology pupils experience a wide range of activities that will equip them well both in future careers and in further academic study. The department believes firmly that work should be both enjoyable and challenging in order that all pupils are given the opportunity to work to their full potential. We are an experienced team of four housed within two specialised Food rooms, and an ICT facility. The department is an extremely popular choice at both GCSE, Level 2 and 3 (we no longer do A Level in Food or HSC; pupils often follow more than one course offered by the department.
KEY STAGE 3
In Year 9 the pupils have one period of Food Technology per fortnight. Our approach is to build upon and equip the students with basic skills. They will learn to use specialist equipment within the department. In Food the pupils will focus on nutrition and healthy eating, they will produce a range of savoury and sweet products.
KEY STAGE 4
Currently, Year 11 pupils will be completing their study of GCSE Food Preparation and Nutrition and/or Level 2 Health and Social Care. Pupils have a time allocation of 5 periods per fortnight.
Year 10 will have the option to study either GCSE Food Preparation and Nutrition and/or a Cambridge National at Level 2 in Health and Social Care.
Food Preparation and Nutrition
Students who choose to take GCSE Food Preparation and Nutrition study the AQA specification. This consists of two portfolios, a Food Investigation Task and a Food Preparation Task, worth 50% of the total marks and a single tier written exam making up the remaining 50%. At the start of the course students will be taught a range of practical skills to develop the knowledge they gained during KS3. This will be supplemented by theory throughout the course to prepare them for the written exam.
This course has a large practical element and pupils are required to cook every week. Successful pupils have the opportunity to continue studying Food Technology in 6th Form as a Level 3 qualification.
HEALTH AND SOCIAL CARE
Cambridge National Certificate Level 2 Health and Social Care OCR.
This course has been designed to provide education and training for Health and Social Care employees and students. It can be used to gain employment in the Health and Social Care sector or to progress to achieve other vocational qualifications. Students can develop a range of skills and techniques, personal skills and attributes which can be used later in working life.
The course is suitable for students wishing to work in the health professions, within social care and working with children in the Early Years sector. It is also recognised by other service sectors.
The course consists of three portfolios, worth 75% of the total marks and a single tier written exam making up the remaining 25% to be completed over the two years.
KEY STAGE 5
LEVEL 3 FOOD SCIENCE AND NUTRITION (WJEC)
The Level 3 Food Science and Nutrition qualification is vocational taking a more engaging, practical approach to learning and assessment. Students who have an interest in Food Technology will find this a rewarding and enjoyable course which leads to a high level qualification which maintains UCAS points that are equivalent to the out-going GCE qualification. The main focus of year 12 will be ‘Meeting the Nutritional Needs of Specific Groups. The purpose of this unit is for learners to develop an understanding of the nutritional needs of specific target groups and plan and cook complex dishes to meet these requirements. In Year 12 there are two modules centred on ‘Meeting the Nutritional Needs of Specific Groups’. This will involve a 90 minute external assessment and a practical internal assessment. In Year 13 there are two modules that are both portfolio based with one being externally assessed and one being internally marked.
LEVEL 3 CAMBRIDGE TECHNICAL EXTENDED CERTIFICATE IN HSC
This course will provide learners with the opportunity through applied learning, to develop core principles and specialist knowledge and understanding required in the health and social care sector.
The qualification is vocational taking a more engaging, practical approach to learning and assessment. A total of 6 units will be covered over the two year course with 3 units being internally assessed as coursework and 3 units will be assessed as a written examination.