OLD HENRICIANS RETURN TO PRINCE HENRY’S
Prince Henry’s has a very long and proud history and it is clear that many former staff and students feel a huge affection for the school.
In the past week, we have been very happy to welcome back some former colleagues and pupils. On 5th May, nine Old Henricians returned to the school and had the opportunity to meet with Dr Evans and other members of the current Leadership Team, as well as Head Girl, Sophie Metcalfe, and Head Boy, Jonathan Deakin. Our visitors had the opportunity to look around the school and as well as seeing the many recent improvements to facilities, they saw many parts of The School building which were still familiar, even if the function of the rooms had changed. Many of them remembered the LRC as the school’s main hall, where assemblies and Speech Day were held; whilst the current staff room had, in its time, served as the Art room, and then as the Sixth Form common room.
After the tour, our guests had the opportunity to look at many items from the school’s archive which related to their time at Prince Henry’s, and to share with the current Henricians their memories and reflection on Prince Henry’s, Evesham and the way in which education has evolved over the past six or seven decades.
Our visitors were:-
Mrs Gail Cook (née Walker, 1952-57); Mrs Joy Hewitt (née Dannatt, 1974-81); Mr John Kyte (1950-56); Mr Mike Mitchell (1963-70); Mrs Wendy Wagstaff (née Grey, 1959-66); Mrs Rosemary Wood (née Archer, 1953-59) and her husband Michael (1943-50). We were also joined by two former members of staff – Mr Kevin McLeish (Head of Art, 1978-97) and his wife Jenny (Head of Drama, 1989-2007).
A few days earlier, we also enjoyed a visit from two ‘Old Girls’, as they referred to themselves. Having moved away from the Evesham area many years ago, Mrs Wendy Sternberg (née Smith, 1951-54) and Mrs Val Rope (née Savage, 1948-54) had both gone on to spend their careers as nurses and had returned on a brief visit to the town with Mrs Sternberg’s husband, Robin. It was a pleasure to show them the school, particularly when they saw the 1951 whole school photo and were able to recognise themselves and name many of their classmates and former teachers in the picture.
Mrs Barker acts as the Leadership Team link with our Old Henricians community and is always delighted to receive news of our former students and staff. She can be contacted via the school’s main address or firstname.lastname@example.org.